Wednesday 21 September 2011

RWC: France v All Blacks match brings back sinking memories

The last time I watched France play the All Blacks, I was in a pub in Paris. It was September 2007. I was 21 and was the only Kiwi surrounded by passionate French supporters.

I was living in France at the time and working at this pub. I remember leading up to the match being very confident. Yes New Zealand were beaten by Australia in the semi-final in 2003, but luck went their way after Stirling Mortlock intercepted a Carlos Spencer pass and the Wallabies ran away with the match. This time it would be different. This time, we had a team without any weaknesses. This time we had Dan Carter, the most experienced forward pack in All Black history and could point to a massive victory the last time we played them.

I remember feeling extremely patriotic. I'll admit now. Cricket and rugby league are my huge loves. But rugby is in my blood. The All Blacks are more than a team. They seem to embody a sense of country and pride no other sports team can produce.

The match came on. It was a quarter-final. The loser would get knocked out, curtains, all over. Running on adrenaline, I did an impromptu haka much to the delight of all those French. At half-time (13-3 to NZ) I remember smiling broadly and asking my new French friends, les Blacks, tres bon, oui? Les Bleu, gagner, peut-etre? Mai non. Roughly translated, the All Blacks will be too good and the French will bow out.

That sinking, yucky feeling hit me about the 70th minute. France had just scored to take a 20-18 lead. Dan Carter went off injured. Why oh why? Luke McAlister was going to line up for a drop goal. You are too far out man. He botched it. The French burst into joy and kept consoling me. I spent two hours walking home through a sea of cars, French flags, noise and tri-colours.

Whatever happens on Saturday night, it will good to put those memories to rest! All Blacks to win by 15 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment